Taking the Leap: Short Hair Styles Great For School
Imagine the splash you'll make as you walk into class with a new short haircut, one that exudes confidence and style. Will your friends recognize you? Will the teachers do a double take?
Short hair styles are great for school because they are so easy to care for and they really make a statement. Short hair says to the world: "I'm confident enough to get rid of all that hair I used to hide behind. Now you get to see the real me!"
But making the cut won't be easy if you've had medium length or long hair for a while. After all, some of that hair has been with you for years. So to help you make the decision whether to "go short or go home", here are some of the pros and cons of changing to one of the new short hair styles:
- A time saver, especially in the mornings when you're in a rush.
- Can be easily washed every day.
- Requires much less care and conditioning than longer hair.
- Looks sporty and fresh.
- If you don't like your short hair style, just wait a few months for it to grow a bit and try another short cut.
- Your earrings finally show!
- If you've never had short hair, it can take some time to get used to that "exposed" feeling.
- Short hair styles need to be cut more often, every 4 to 6 weeks, to keep them in shape.
- You might have to use more styling products than when your hair was longer.
- Some people will try to convince you that guys don't like short hair on women, but don't buy it! This is about your style, your comfort, and your confident new look.
How Do I Know if Short Hair Styles Are Right For Me?
One of the best ways to decide which short hair styles suit your face and hair type is to consult with a stylist you trust. Bring along some magazine pictures of styles you like so you can discuss their suitability with your salon pro. He or she will take into account factors like the shape of your face and the thickness of your hair before recommending a cut.
A great innovation lately has been online hairstyling tools that let you try different virtual styles before you make the first snip. These websites allow you to upload your photo and overlay various hairstyle images onto your headshot, with excellent results. It's a great tool that's easy and fun to use. (Suggestion: Invite your friends over and throw a hairstyle selection party!)
So before you make the leap to any of the new, short hair styles, do some research and find the one that suits you best. The new virtual styling tools are an exciting way to update your look without the stress and uncertainty.